Sunday 18 September 2011

A Bit about Sales Assistants

Okay, don’t get me wrong here, I am not going to spend the next few paragraphs ‘dissing’ sales assistants. In fact, I used to be one! Sales assistants have a tough job at times and can get some really obnoxious customers. No, today’s gripe is about how some of them of them seem to spring from nowhere and ask if you want any help.

‘Can I help you?’

I don’t mind this practice in big electrical stores, or when I am after a sofa. But recently I have been getting this in shops such as Game! I enter the shop and out props a sales assistant and asks:

‘Can I help you?’ Good god! I just want to look at the prices of games and stuff… Christmas is coming… I am after a few ideas. ‘No, I am fine, thanks…’

‘Okay,’ sales the smiling sales assistant. ‘Give me a shout if you need any help.’ Yes… okay.

But is doesn’t really end there. The sales assistant remains fixed to where he is stood, that smile still on his face, watching me walk over to a stack of second hand PS3 games. This is very bad as I don’t even own a PS3. I have no intention of owning a PS3. I might one day, but I don’t yet. I walk over to the DS section. I try to act cool, but I can feel shop assistant’s eyes boring into me. Always eager, always keen. It is quite spooky really.

‘Do you need any help yet?’ No...

‘How about now?’ No...

Now?’ No...

‘Did I say to give me a shout if you need help? Did I? Did I say that?’

So, I leave… But the next time I go in, the same thing happens. I have got into the practice of dodging these shop assistants, by fixing a meaningful expression on my face, as if to say, ‘I am fine… I know exactly where I want to look and what I want to look at. I do not need help.’ On other occasions I enter the shop as though I am playing a game of Chess, and anticipating the sales assistants’ next move. Sometimes I will outmanoeuvre the assistant, other times I will not.

I know they are touting for business, and we are amid a big recession. But I know that come Christmas time, when these shops are really busy and I definitely do need help, I will not see a sales assistant for love or money…

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I hate that when I go into a shop now I can't seem to browse without being harassed an over-eager sales assistant. Where was I the other day and it took me completely by surprise....? Oh that it, I was in Topshop, and that's never happened before there. I was just having a nice little look at the pretty clothes and out of nowhere this woman sprung up and asked me if I 'needed any help'. The other thing that annoys me is at New Look, where the person on the till usually asks you 'if you have found everything you were looking for today'. Er....yes, hence the reason I'm buying it, you idiot. And if I hadn't, would I be at the till purchasing anything? Probably not. I mean how are you supposed to answer that question?
    "Actually no, I didn't. I was really looking for a lime green jumper with a picture of a ginger cat on the front, and the slogan 'What's New Pussycat?' but you don't make those."

    I mean what's next? That you'll be in Poundworld and someone will ask you if you need help deciding which multipack of crisps you fancy? Okay....maybe that's going to far. I don't think the staff in Poundworld will ever give a shit to be honest.

    Kate :-)

    ReplyDelete